In our 125-year history, SJCPL has had a total of five directors. That’s right. Just five. It seems only right to honor each of them as we celebrate our history. In 1903, Miss Virginia Tutt began her term as the second Library Director, replacing Miss Evelyn Humphreys. During her tenure, the first library branch opened in Washington High School in 1918. That branch served as a community center for immigrants from Poland and Hungary, many of whom could neither speak nor write English. The second and oldest branch we have today, River Park Branch opened in 1920 with a collection of 3,200 books. By the early 1920s, there was already a great deal of discussion about larger quarters for the library. Virginia Tutt worked tirelessly toward securing legislation to establish a capital fund that would help build a new library. Although Miss Tutt passed away in 1927, she got the ball rolling for the initial funding to replace Main Library. Tutt Branch, which opened in 1928, is named after her. Thanks, Virginia.