Donald J. Napoli
St. Joseph County Public Library
304 South Main Street
South Bend, IN 46601
Office Phone: 574-282 - 4601
Cell: 574-514 - 8922
FAX: 574-282 - 4651
born: March 10 in Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, about 3 miles from Boston; talks with funny accent; drives like a Bostonian when in Boston
height: 5'10-1/2"; hazel eyes; weight: 178 lbs (varies with amount of exercise and level of self-control in any given week).
hobbies: chess; painting ceramic tiles (imitation blue delft); reading; gardening; home repairs (if I did not view this as a hobby, I'd go out of my mind or break into a cold sweat just thinking about everything that needs to be done in my old house.)
- Boston College High School, Dorchester, MA Diploma, 1960
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA Bachelor of Arts, 1964 Major: Philosophy
- The Catholic University of America, Master of Library Science, 1971 Washington, DC
Director, St. Joseph County Public Library (formerly callled the South Bend Public Library), South Bend, IN, from November 1, 1977 to March 10, 1985; and from June 17, 1985 to the present.
- Responsible for the direction, administration, and general supervision of a medium-sized public library system consisting of a Main Library and nine branch libraries, serving a population of 172,000 people with a 2008 annual operating budget of approximately $16,000,000.00 and capital funds budgets totalling $1,800,000.
- The Library's website provides the most current long range plans, policies and proposals, along with up-to-date status reports on those plans.
Executive Director, Cuyahoga County Public Library, Cleveland, OH, from March 11, 1985 to May 23, 1985.
- Responsible for the direction, administration, and general supervision of a large public library system consisting of five regional and twenty-three branch libraries, serving a population of 600,000 people with a 1985 annual budget of approximately $14,000,000.00. Resigned for personal and private reasons; applied for and was given former position as Director, South Bend Public Library, on June 17, 1985.
Branch Librarian IV, North Point Area Branch, Baltimore County Public Library, December 1975 to October 1977.
- Responsible for the administration and general supervision of an area branch library, two satellite branches, and a bookmobile.
- Branch Librarian II, Parkville-Carney Branch, Baltimore County Public Library, August 1972 to December 1975.
- Responsible for the administration and general supervision of a large community branch library.
Assistant Branch Librarian, Loch Raven and Perry Hall Branches, Baltimore County Public Library, November 1971 to August 1972.
- Responsible for the general supervision of adult departments and of the branch in the absence of the Branch Librarian.
Information Specialist, Essex Area Branch, Baltimore County Public Library, September 1969 to November 1971.
- Responsible for young adult materials and programs.
Pre-professional Librarian Trainee, Northwood and Hamilton Branches, Enoch Pratt Free Library of Baltimore, Maryland. September 1967 to August 1968.
Military Experience: Captain, U.S. Army, Ordnance Corps. Served in Germany, 1965 through August 1967. in various heavy equipment maintenance units. Honorable Discharge.
- Indiana Library Association and Library Trustee Association's "Outstanding Librarian of the Year" Award, 1985.
- City of South Bend's "Key to the City" presented by Mayor Roger O. Parent, 1985, for "serving the community ably and well."
- City of South Bend's Common Council Resolution of Commendation, citing major achievements of the Library Director toward the betterment of public library services (Resoultion #1270-85), 1985.
- Public Library Association, Board of Directors Resolution of Appreciation, 1991, for work done to create the Public Library Data Service annual publication.
- Indiana Public Library Association's "Outstanding Leadership" Award, 1993, for services as IPLA's first President.
- Places Rated Almanac, 1993 edition: public library of South Bend, Indiana, ranked 8th among 343 United States and Canadian public libraries in the number of new books added each year per 1,000 residents served.
- Established the Internet's first Public Library World-Wide Web Server in the United States and the second in the world on March 14, 1994.See "The Public Library In Transition," a brief history of the St. Joseph County Public Library's early experiences on the Internet.
- Also made the St. Joseph County Public Library Indiana's first public library to provide public access to the Internet in August, 1994.
- Charter Member of the Michiana Free-Net Board of Directors, September1993 - November1995, the first Free-Net in the State of Indiana.
- February 8 - 13, 1996, Mr. Napoli was invited to visit and give talks at three public libraries and two university libraries in Finland. Take a look at his travelogue from this exciting tour.
- Based on data collected by Federal-State Cooperative System (FSCS) for 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000, in those four years the St. Joseph County Public Library has ranked among the TOP TEN public libraries in the U.S. (serving populations of 100,000 to 250,000) as reported in American Libraries magazine's annual "Great American Libraries Survey!" SJCPL ranked 6th for the year 1996 (American Libraries, Jan. '99, p. 74) , 2nd for the year 1997 (American Libraries, Sep. '99, p. 66), 5th for the year 1998 (American Libraries, Nov. 2000, p. 52), and 4th for the year 2000 (American Libraries, Oct. 2002, p. 64.) This national survey was not done in 1999 because the FSCS failed to report public library data for that year.
- Vocational Award presented by South Gateway Rotary of South Bend, Indiana, on October 24, 2000 in recognition of vocational excellence and the practice of high ethical standards that exemplify the Rotary ideal of service in the workplace.
- South Bend Community Hall of Fame Honoree inducted into the South Bend Community Hall of Fame by the South Bend Alumni Association on Sunday, November 12, 2000.
- The 2009 Leighton Award for Nonprofit Excellence from the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County presented to the St. Joseph County Public Library "for Enduring Excellence in Innovation, Design, and Community Service."
- Active member of the American Library Association, the Public Library Association, and the Indiana Library Federation since 1977.
- President of the Indiana Public Library Association - 1992-93
- Member of the Board of Directors, Public Library Association of the American Library Association, 1993-96
- Member of the Public Library Association's National Conference Committee for the 1996 biennial conference in Portland, OR.
- Chairperson of the Public Library Association's Electronic Communications Advisory Committee, 1998-2000
- Output Measures for Public Libraries: a manual of standardized procedures, American Library Association, Chicago, 1982. Chaired PLA Committee which produced this manual.
- Public Library Data Service Statistical Report, Public Library Association/ American Library Association, Chicago: 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991 editions. Created and produced database software, database, all statistical charts and graphs for this annual publication.
- "A Public Library in Transition" by Donald J. Napoli. Published in The Evolving Virtual Library II : Practical and Philosophical Perspectives. Laverna M. Saunders (Editor). Hardcover (November 1999). Information Today Inc.
- "Window of Opportunity" by Donald J. Napoli. Published in The South Bend Tribune, Section B, p. 6.
- Active member of Rotary Clubs in South Bend, IN since 1979.
- Active Member of Holy Cross Church and of Cursillo of South Bend, IN, since 1978.