| Local Cooking Links
SJCPL Cooking Resources
Cooking Magazine Subscriptions
Cooking Careers Resources
Thinking about going to culinary school? Just looking to find out about what it's like to work in the food service industry? SJCPL has a number of books that can help you learn about what being a professional chef really entails. Check our shelves for the following titles:
- Becoming a Chef: with Recipes and Reflections from America's Leading Chefs
- Controlling Restaurant & Food Service Labor Costs
- Entrepreneur Magazine's Ultimate Book of Restaurant and Food Service Franchises
- Essentials of Food Safety & Sanitation
- The Guide to Cooking Schools
- Math for Food Service Occupations
- Peterson's Culinary Schools directory
- Professional Chef
- Professional Cooking
- The Waiter & Waitress & Waitstaff Training Handbook
- Waiter & Waitress Training: How to develop your staff for maximum service & profit
SJCPL Staff Cooks: Recipes, Tips, and More!
Recipe of the Month: Cherry White Chip Brownies
(from Hershey's Kitchens)
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy) or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips
- 1/3 cup chopped slivered almonds
- WHITE CHIP DRIZZLE(recipe follows, optional)
- Maraschino cherry halves, well drained (optional)
Directions: 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 8-or 9-inch square baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease and flour foil.
2. Pat chopped cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, corn syrup and brandy in medium bowl until well blended. Add flour, cocoa and baking powder to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in chopped cherries, almonds and white chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cover; refrigerate until firm.
4. Use foil to lift brownies out of pan; peel off foil. Cut brownies into shapes with cookie cutters or cut into squares. Garnish with WHITE CHIP DRIZZLE and maraschino cherry halves, if desired. Refrigerate until drizzle is firm; refrigerate leftover brownies. About 16 brownies.
WHITE CHIP DRIZZLE: Place 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips and 1 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds: stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH additional 15 seconds until chips are melted when stirred. Using tines of fork, drizzle across brownies.
Interested in the health benefits of chocolate? Check with the Mayo Clinic.
|Visit the Farmer's Market for fresh, seasonal produce!
1105 Northside Boulevard
Tuesday & Thursday, 7:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.