| Local Cooking Links
SJCPL Cooking Resources
Cooking Magazine Subscriptions
Cooking Careers Resources
Thinking about going to culinary school? Just looking to find out about what it's like to work in the food service industry? SJCPL has a number of books that can help you learn about what being a professional chef really entails. Check our shelves for the following titles:
- Becoming a Chef: with Recipes and Reflections from America's Leading Chefs
- Career Opportunities in the Food & Beverage Industry
- Controlling Restaurant & Food Service Labor Costs
- Entrepreneur Magazine's Ultimate Book of Restaurant and Food Service Franchises
- Essentials of Food Safety & Sanitation
- From Kitchen to Market: Selling your Gourmet Food Specialty
- The Guide to Cooking Schools
- Math for Food Service Occupations
- Peterson's Culinary Schools directory
- Professional Chef
- Professional Cooking
- Successful Catering: Managing the Catering Operation for Maximum Profit
- The Waiter & Waitress & Waitstaff Training Handbook
- Waiter & Waitress Training: How to develop your staff for maximum service & profit
SJCPL Staff Cooks: Recipes, Tips, and More!
Recipe of the Month: Chocolate Truffles
(from Hershey's Kitchens)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- cocoa or powdered sugar or chopped nuts
Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa; stir until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk; cook and stir constantly until mixture is thick, smooth and glossy, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Shape into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in cocoa, powdered sugar or chopped nuts. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Store covered, in refrigerator. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candies.
Interested in the health benefits of chocolate? Check with the Mayo Clinic.
|Visit the Farmer's Market for fresh, seasonal produce!
1105 Northside Boulevard
Tuesday & Thursday, 7:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.