Antiques & Collectibles
| Antiques & Collectibles Database
Antiques in Michiana
Special Interest Sites
Find an Appraiser
- An object of aesthetic or historical value made over 100 years ago.
- An artistic or historical treasure less than 100 years old.
- A mass-produced or "limited edition" object.
- An object that gains value because of its association with a famous person or event.
(Source: Antiques Speak, the Antiques Roadshow glossary)
from Atari to Walkman
Standard Identification & Price Guides
Price guide are generally buyers' guides, not sellers' guides, suggesting what you would have to pay to purchase an object.
Sellers should expect to recieve much less than the value listed.
Browsing Our Collection
Ephemera Society of America
Ephemera refers to anything that was not meant to last.
See examples in the colorful article, Seed Company Advertising.
(Dewey Decimal Numbers)
- 700 The Arts
- 730 Plastic Arts, Sculpture
- 736 Carvings
- 737 Coins, Paper Money
- 738 Ceramics, Porcelain
- 739 Metalwork
- Drawing & Decorative Arts
- 741 Drawings
- 745 Decorative Arts
- 745.1 Antiques & Collectibles
- 746 Textiles
- 748 Glass
- 749 Furniture
- 750 Paintings
- 760 Prints
- 769 Stamps, Sports Cards, Posters
- 770 Photographs
- 730 Plastic Arts, Sculpture
Antiques Book Review
|Antiques 101: A Crash Course in Everything Antique||What an enjoyable way to learn the basics of antiquing! Author Frank Farmer Loomis IV concisely describes the major furniture styles from Queen Anne in the early 1700s through Retro, the semi-antiques/collectibles of the 1970s and 1980s. He gives tips on identifying woods, as well as china, silver and glass. He delights in the way the world of antiques is ever evolving. For example, we once made fun of those velvet Elvis paintings ("El on Vel"); now Elvis is the king of Retro. Though not a price guide, this book will help you distinguish what is worth collecting.|
Magazines on Antiques & Collectibles
- Antiques & Collecting
- Antique Trader's Collector Magazine & Price Guide
- Antique Week
- Art & Antiques
- Beckett Baseball Collector
- Beckett Basketball Collector
- Beckett Football Collector
- Beckett Yu Gi Oh Unofficial Collector
- Collectible Automobile
For descriptions and contact information, search Community Connection.
- Antique Automobile Club of America, St. Joe Valley Region
- Antique Study Group
- Northern Indiana Philatelic Society
- Questers Chapters
Area Antique Shows & Auctions, 2007
- St. Joseph County Fairgrounds, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. (Schedule)
- Shipshewana Auction & Flea Market
- Miscelaneous and Antique Auction - Every Wednesday
- Specialty Auctions - March 21, April 18, October 24, October 31
Interesting Tidbits Did you know that while some members of the Studebaker family were manufacturing automobiles, others were making pocket watches? Here is an interesting article from Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine about Studebaker watches. For more information about early South Bend businesses, contact our Local & Family History Department.
Please feel free to leave comments or suggestions in the discussion page.