All Aboard! Books About Trains for Young People
- Beautiful full-spread vintage paintings illustrate this 1950’s train poem. The fond depictions of train cars and those who watch them are priceless.
- This hands-on counting book folds out to form a six-foot train with colorful cargo in each car.
- A journey of two trains, one in the outside world, and one in the indoor world of a child, Two Little Trains has the imaginative and snug quality of much of Margaret Wise Brown’s work.
- The exciting passing-by of a rainbow-hued freight train, Donald Crew’s classic has entertained and enriched the lives of preschoolers since 1978.
- For slightly older listeners, Shortcut tells the story of a group of children who decide to take the train track instead of their usual footpath home. An important lesson is learned.
- Miss Pym and her class taking the train to visit the fossils at Dinosaur National Monument; but when the ticket man at the train station directs them to the Rocky Mountain Unlimited, the excitement begins. Before the class knows it, it is traveling through some mighty mysterious surroundings, and ends up having the field trip of a lifetime! Beautiful watercolor illustrations combine with a fun story.
- Where do babies come from? Why, the train, of course! Join this rollicking ride to deliver a trainload of pint-sized passengers to their new homes. Sweet, humorous illustrations in muted dustbowl hues are by acclaimed illustrator Marla Frazee.
- Evocative wording and glorious illustrations work together to tell a poignant tale of a country boy’s love for trains and a famous engineer. The young man’s dreams for his future are inextricably intertwined with trains.
- William is wide-awake, but everyone must sleep on the train that goes to tomorrow. Stylized paintings and rhythmic text combine to produce a mystifying yet safe journey from one day to the next.
- Full color photos depict vintage steam engines pulling their loads through the rugged Rocky Mountains. Very simple text with lots of action.
- Photographs combine with the alphabet to present a carload of interesting facts for the budding train enthusiast.
- Suspense builds as a small train pulls away from its station, bound for Black Paw Crossing. Read to find out what kind of trouble lurks on the tracks for this peace-loving train and community.
- Watch out! Stand back! Thunder, lightning, on the tracks… Here comes the train! A sensory ride through the countryside and into the city, with Grandma waiting at journey’s end.
- Each Saturday a father and his children ride bicycles to a high footbridge where they wait expectantly for the most exciting event of the day. Read this book to find out what it is!
- Niccolini, the train yard night watchman, cares for his engines in a unique way. Soon town mothers are bringing their fussy babies to Niccolini for his special touch. Illustrated in muted nighttime colors, Niccolini’s Song is a restful, magical read.
- This book combines high-quality photos and brief text to bring the bygone era of the steam locomotive to life. A good choice for the older listener or reader.